An English Teacher instructs students on language arts and grammar in a school setting. Below is a general job description for a high school teacher:
High school teachers, also called secondary school teachers, provide instruction to students in one or more areas of study within a public or private high school. They may also supervise extracurricular activities, proctor state testing exams, assist with college preparation (such as by writing letters of recommendation), organize field trips, and supervise study hall and/or detention, among other duties.Payscale
If this is the kind of job you want or you have, you’re in the right place! We have a resume example for you and three tips from our professional resume writers below.
English Teacher Resume Example
💡ZipTip: view 200+ more professional resume samples for all industries, along with a guide to writing resumes from our experts.
English Teacher Resume (text version)
email | www.linkedin.com/in/ | phone number
Creative, organized, English Teacher highly regarded for extensive experience in classroom administration, professional development, and project planning. Student-centric instructor, academic facilitator, and motivational coach who champions student achievements while promoting a safe and positive learning environment. Creates engaging lesson plans and integrates educational technology to drive retention, comprehension, and participation. Accomplished in building trust and meaningful relationships between students, parents, and administrators. Thrives in fast-paced, diverse, and collaborative environments.
- English Education
- Team Building
- Relationship Building
- Student Evaluations
- Faculty Collaboration
- Program Development
- Student Assessments
English Teacher | ZipJob | New York City, NY Year – Present
- Assessed and reported on each student’s English progress in accordance with policies developed by the school district.
- Implemented English lessons for [Number] third grade students.
- Supervised small English groups of students.
- Promoted a love of English and literacy to all students.
- Implemented tracking tools to evaluate successes and areas in need of improvement.
- Created tools for instruction and behavioral support.
- Provided tutoring and after school assistance to students who required additional help with their English.
- Enhanced knowledge by attending training and adopting new technologies.
Assistant English Teacher | ZipJob | New York City, NY Year – Present
- Utilized diverse approaches in teaching, technology and behavior modification.
- Gathered, organized, and analyzed data on student needs and progress.
- Assessed and documented student progress with established goals.
- Collaborated with teachers to assess needs, set objectives, and discuss strategies.
- Affirmatively communicated and promoted a positive attitude with each and every student.
- Helped students prepare for standardized tests and reviewed results against objectives after completion.
- Developed interventions for students currently struggling or at risk of falling behind.
- Interpreted student assessment data to ascertain the best intervention methods.
Bachelor of Science | New York University
Certification | School
Bonus: free resume template
ZipJob now offers a resume template you can download. The template is set up with an easy to read layout like the example above: clear section headings, modern font, and follows a reverse-chronological resume format (preferred by both hiring managers and ATS scans).
How to write an English Teacher resume: 3 tips
Use soft skills throughout your resume
Strong job applicants should have a mix of hard skills and soft skills. Soft skills include collaboration, communication, emotional intelligence, and creativity. Instead of listing these within a skills section, you should use examples of how you have used soft skills in your work history. For example:
- Collaborated with sales and product development teams to design, implement, and oversee new marketing campaign
- Solved ongoing problem with tracking shipments by implementing an Excel sheet system that automatically updated when shipments left the warehouse
- Communicated effectively with internal and external stakeholders throughout 6 month project, providing weekly email updates and a wrap up presentation with key points, results, and future plans
Only include 10 to 15 years of experience
You should keep your resume’s work experience limited to the last 10 or 15 years. There are two reasons for this:
- It keeps your resume focused on your most recent experience
- It keeps your resume focused on your most relevant experience
In most cases, the jobs you held more than 15 years ago will not help you land a job. Either you have done similar tasks more recently, in which case you don’t need to repeat yourself. On the other hand, you may have changed careers since then, making your previous experience confusing and irrelevant.
For more about relevant work experience, head over to this article next: What Does Relevant Work Experience Mean On A Resume?
Always add a cover letter
Your cover letter is your chance to start a conversation with your employer. Your resume proves you have the skills and qualifications for the job, but your cover letter invites a further discussion. Whenever possible, use a cover letter to succinctly explain why you’re the perfect fit for the role. You can also highlight your most compelling achievements from your resume–but limit yourself to two or three achievements. Finally, invite the employer to contact you by phone or email.
For more cover letter tips, head over to our guide: What A Good Cover Letter Looks Like
Having a great resume will help you land your next job as an English Teacher. Use this example as a guide to what kind of skills and experience employers are looking for in this field.
Still have questions? Comment below or hire your own resume writer. Zipjob has over 100 professional resume writers with experience in all industries, ready to help you create your best resume. Click below to see our services: