Samples & How to Guide
Small Business Owner Resume Example & Guide
- Small Business Owner Resume Sample
- Free Downloadable Template
- Tips on how to write the perfect Small Business Owner resume
Zipjob is a member of:
A Small Business Owner runs and operates a business, including all aspects such as finance, accounting, marketing, and operations. Below is a general job description from Payscale:
Small business owners and operators work in a variety of industries such as retail goods, auto repair, home inspection, and many others. Their primary duties (outside of their respective skill or trade) include managing employees, providing customer service, promoting their business, filing and documenting appropriate business accounts, and ensuring their business meets any local, state, and federal requirements. Small business owners may work from a storefront, office space, or even from their home. Depending on the type of business, trade, or service they practice, their hours can vary; however, many organizations operate during daytime hours.
If you’re a former small business owner, this post will tell you everything you need to know about writing a new resume!
You should never use a creative resume
Many job seekers think that an eye-catching resume template will help them stand out to hiring managers and increase their chances of landing an interview. This is a myth put out by resume builders that value design over content.
The truth is that most hiring managers prefer a traditional resume format.
Creative resume templates, like the one pictured here, can actually hurt your chances of landing an interview. Instead, you should use a basic resume format that quickly communicates your basic information and qualifications–like the one included below.
Small Business Owner Resume Example
How confident are you feeling about your resume? If you need more help, you can always refer to the following resume sample for a position.
Want to land 2-3x more interviews… guaranteed?
Small Business Owner Resume (Text Format)
City, State or Country if international
Phone | Email
Small Business Owner Professional
Ambitious and dedicated small business owner with expertise in business management, business development, and team leadership. Own all fiscal and operational responsibility to ensure continued growth. Well-versed in time management, customer service, marketing, communications, and human resources. Key skills in problem resolution, relationship building, and change management,
- Operations Management
- Human Resources
- Growth Optimization
- Team Leadership
- Market Planning
- Program Development
- Business Expansion
- Corporate Acquisitions
- Built and maintained a profitable, small business for 22 years
- Responsible for all aspects of marketing/communication – newspaper, signage, vet referrals, etc.
- Unparalleled, outstanding, caring, personal, ‘above-and-beyond’ typical customer service; word-of-mouth and veterinarian referrals
- Grooming/training, and retail environment for holistic pet products
- Managed two part-time temporary employees
- Freelance photographer & owner of M&G Photography capturing priceless memories for families, events, weddings and more.
- Professionally edit photos using Adobe Photoshop and other photo editing programs.
- Market & advertise business through various networking sites and other marketing outlets.
- Responsible in handling all the daily revenue and sales transitions.
- Responsible in managing taxes, budgets, filing and contracts for business.
- Contact and follow up with various customers for appointments through phone or via email.
- Handle day to day customers and provide exceptional customer service.
- Designed and manage company website.
Complete School Name, City, St/Country: List Graduation Years If Within the Last Ten Years
Complete Degree Name (Candidate) – Major (GPA: List if over 3.3)
- Relevant Coursework: List coursework taken (even include those you are planning on taking)
- Awards/Honors: List any awards, honors or big achievements
- Clubs/Activities: List clubs and activities in which you participated
- Relevant Projects: List 2-3 projects you have worked on
Everything You Need To Write Your Small Business Owner Resume
Now that you’ve seen an example of a job winning Small Business Owner resume, here are some tips to help you write your own. You should always begin with a summary section. Remember to use basic formatting with clear section headings and a traditional layout. Finally, be sure to include top skills throughout your resume. We’ve included several examples common for Small Business Owner below.
Let’s start with your resume summary section.
Summary for a Small Business Owner Resume
The resume summary replaces the out-of-date resume objective. A summary outlines the most impressive parts of your resume for easy recall by your potential employer, while also serving to fill in personal qualities that may not appear elsewhere on the page. Remember that summaries are short and consist of pithy sentence fragments! You can check out the Small Business Owner resume example for more information!
Effective leadership and executive resumes use soft skills to showcase leadership skills. Your resume should include specific examples of motivating, empowering, or training people to accomplish a result.
Formatting a Small Business Owner Resume
Our experts recommend you start your resume with a resume summary, like the one above. Other common sections are Work Experience, Education, and either Skills or Core Competencies. Here are some guides from our blog to help you write these sections:
- How To Write Your Resume’s Work Experience Section
- How To Write Your Resume’s Education Section
- Good Skills To Put On Your Resume
Other sections for you to consider including are foreign language skills, awards and honors, certifications, and speaking engagements. These could all be relevant sections for your resume.
Small Business Owner Skills for a Resume
Your resume should include all your skills that are relevant to your target job. Skills include both hard skills and soft skills. Hard skills are the technical know-how you need to complete a job, such as data analysis or HTML. You can include hard skills in your core competencies section.
Soft skills are harder to quantify, so they require more information to explain your aptitude. Some top soft skill examples include communication, problem solving, and emotional intelligence. Use several examples of how you use your key soft skills throughout your work history, profile summary, and resume title.
Writing Your Small Business Owner Experience Section
Your Work Experience section should make up the bulk of your resume. This section should include your relevant job titles, companies that employed you, and the dates you were employed.
Most people will finish this section by listing daily duties in short bullet points. Don’t be one of them!
To make your resume stand out, you need to add your accomplishments and key skills to your resume’s Work Experience section.
Here are three tips from our experts:
- Use the STAR method to describe a situation, task, action, and result. This is adapted from a behavioral interview technique, so interviewers will recognize the format. It’s also a great chance for you to organize your key accomplishments.
- Don’t forget about LinkedIn! The majority of employers are going to look you up on LinkedIn, so it’s smart to make sure your LInkedIn profile is up to date and include your URL in your resume’s contact section.
- Always include a cover letter. Not everyone will bother, so it helps you look like a serious job applicant. It’s also your chance to introduce yourself: who you are, why you’re applying for this job, and how you want to proceed.
And let’s wrap it all up!
We wish you the best of luck for your job hunt, and don’t forget to check out our Cover Letter Tips!
Didn’t get the specific answers you wanted from this page? Please leave a comment with your question or visit Zipjob on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to ask. And if you really liked the sample, don’t forget to pin it on Pinterest!
Your download has started!
Professional Resume Services
Land 2x More Interviews…Guaranteed!