Are you looking for work in Houston, Texas? You’re not alone!
Houston has a strong housing market and is home to over a dozen Fortune 500 companies. With a lower than average cost of living and a higher than average number of prosperous employers, many Americans are considering a move to Houston in 2021.
If you’re moving and looking for a job at the same time, though, you’re going to need a little help. Here are 5 tips and resources from our team of career experts to make your search for a new job in Houston go smoothly.
1. Look for top Houston companies in your industry
If you’re looking to land a new job quickly, you need to be organized and specific. One way to narrow down your job search is to make a list of target companies. This list will help to focus your attention on researching what the company is doing and networking with current employees.
To get started, check out our lists of the best financial companies and the best marketing companies in Houston:
- 7 Best Accounting and Finance Companies in Houston
- 7 Best Marketing, Advertising, and PR Companies in Houston
Check back soon–more industry lists will follow!
2. Check local job listings online
In addition to top job search sites, you should look for local job boards to find jobs in Houston. These websites might have opportunities that bigger aggregates don’t have.
Here are the Top 12 Job Search Sites in Houston, Texas to help you out.
Don’t make applying to job online your only job search strategy! This brings us to the next tip.
3. Check out recruiting and headhunting firms in Houston
You can’t hire a recruiter to get you a new job, but you can work with recruiters to learn about certain opportunities.
If you are a great candidate you can attract recruiters as they try to source excellent candidates for companies or industries.
Start with this list of the 25 Best Recruiting and Headhunting firms in Houston and then reference these related posts:
- How to Find a Recruiter in Your Industry (+ Email Template)
- How to Reply to a Recruiter The Right Way
- The Difference Between a Headhunter, Recruiter, and Hiring Manager
4. Write a great cover letter for your move to Houston
- Short and direct
- Highlights your qualifications (without regurgitating your resume)
- Demonstrates your value with examples and numbers
- Tailored–preferably addressed to the hiring manager
Job openings receive around 250 applications on average. Cover letters are one of the most effective ways to stand out!
5. Research local Houston resume writing services
Moving takes up a lot of time and energy, so it’s perfectly fine to hire a professional to do the heavy lifting for you on your resume! Professional resume writers are trained on current best practices, industry keywords, and the effective content you need to land an interview.
Make sure you’re collaborating with your resume writer in between packing up your dishes. Even the most experienced writers will need to learn more about your experience and qualifications before delivering a final draft!
Here are our suggestions for the 11 Best Resume Writing Services in Houston.
Looking for a job and moving at the same time is hard work! These tips will help you manage your job search so you can focus on getting settled into a new city.
Are you looking for a job and relocating to Texas? Share your Houston job search tips in the comments!