Samples & How to Guide
Medical Secretary Resume Example & Guide
- Medical Secretary Resume Sample
- Free Downloadable Template
- Tips on how to write the perfect Medical Secretary resume
Zipjob is a member of:
A Medical Secretary oversees administrative functions at a medical office. Below is a general job description:
Medical secretaries perform administrative work in a clinical, hospital, or other medical environment. They often have front-office duties and will greet customers as they enter the facility. Since they are the first individuals to interact with patients, it’s important to maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
You should never use a creative resume
Many job seekers think that an eye-catching resume template will help them stand out to hiring managers and increase their chances of landing an interview. This is a myth put out by resume builders that value design over content.
The truth is that most hiring managers prefer a traditional resume format.
Creative resume templates, like the one pictured here, can actually hurt your chances of landing an interview. Instead, you should use a basic resume format that quickly communicates your basic information and qualifications–like the one included below.
Medical Secretary Resume Example
How confident are you feeling about your resume? If you need more help, you can always refer to the following resume sample for a position.
Want to land 2-3x more interviews… guaranteed?
Medical Secretary Resume (Text Format)
City, State or Country if international
Phone | Email
Medical Secretary Professional
A personable, detail-oriented Medical Secretary highly regarded for providing exceptional office support while greeting patients in person and via phone for busy medical practices. Known for making a difference corporate-wide, excelling in fast-paced environments, maximizing the patient experience. Self-starter with excellent oral and written communication skills. Respected team player with the ability to work with people at all levels of a corporation. Exceptional tenure showcasing multiple promotions into vital leadership roles for industry leaders including xxx, xxx, and xxx.
- Customer Service
- Accounts Payable
- Data Entry
- Provided excellent customer service in Spanish and English to clients, in person and via phone.
- Answered 100+ calls daily, scheduled appointments, and transferred calls.
- De-escalated any concerns, improving our customer service rating.
- Scheduled patient visits, procedures, and referrals.
- Collected co-payments.
- Scheduled meetings and supported numerous departments.
- Increase office efficiency 80% by developing an electronic system, allowing immediate access to documents.
- Chosen to process payroll, multimillion-dollar invoices and confidential files for high-profile, corporate accounts.
- Played a key role in increasing revenues 20% by creating proposals for executives to secure new business opportunities.
- Instrumental in increasing clients and supporting sales and marketing by actively networking, preparing detailed databases of leads, researching competitors, and cold calling target clients/customers.
- Consistently praised for the quality and timeliness of reports, attention to detail, exemplary customer service delivery and team-player attitude.
- Increased customer service scores 30% by immediately providing a friendly, professional greeting to clients and proactively following up to make sure their needs were exceeded.
- Collaborated with Human Resources to deliver training that increased retention to 98%.
- Created a streamlined onboarding process impacting 30+ new-hires monthly.
- Developed a system that achieved a 100% client follow-up rate by sending out daily and weekly emails to staff ensuring messages were handled promptly.
- Implemented procedures for scheduling conferences, meetings, and travel for 300+ employees in 18 departments.
Complete School Name, City, St/Country: List Graduation Years If Within the Last Ten Years
Complete Degree Name (Candidate) – Major (GPA: List if over 3.3)
- Relevant Coursework: List coursework taken (even include those you are planning on taking)
- Awards/Honors: List any awards, honors or big achievements
- Clubs/Activities: List clubs and activities in which you participated
- Relevant Projects: List 2-3 projects you have worked on
Everything You Need To Write Your Medical Secretary Resume
Now that you’ve seen an example of a job winning Medical Secretary resume, here are some tips to help you write your own. You should always begin with a summary section. Remember to use basic formatting with clear section headings and a traditional layout. Finally, be sure to include top skills throughout your resume. We’ve included several examples common for Medical Secretary below.
Let’s start with your resume summary section.
Summary for a Medical Secretary Resume
The resume summary replaces the out-of-date resume objective. A summary outlines the most impressive parts of your resume for easy recall by your potential employer, while also serving to fill in personal qualities that may not appear elsewhere on the page. Remember that summaries are short and consist of pithy sentence fragments! You can check out the Medical Secretary resume example for more information!
Always start with your most recent positions at the top of your resume. This is called reverse-chronological format, and keeps your most relevant information easy for hiring managers to review.
Formatting a Medical Secretary Resume
Our experts recommend you start your resume with a resume summary, like the one above. Other common sections are Work Experience, Education, and either Skills or Core Competencies. Here are some guides from our blog to help you write these sections:
- How To Write Your Resume’s Work Experience Section
- How To Write Your Resume’s Education Section
- Good Skills To Put On Your Resume
Other sections for you to consider including are foreign language skills, awards and honors, certifications, and speaking engagements. These could all be relevant sections for your resume.
Medical Secretary Skills for a Resume
Your resume should include all your skills that are relevant to your target job. Skills include both hard skills and soft skills. Hard skills are the technical know-how you need to complete a job, such as data analysis or HTML. You can include hard skills in your core competencies section.
Soft skills are harder to quantify, so they require more information to explain your aptitude. Some top soft skill examples include communication, problem solving, and emotional intelligence. Use several examples of how you use your key soft skills throughout your work history, profile summary, and resume title.
Writing Your Medical Secretary Experience Section
Your Work Experience section should make up the bulk of your resume. This section should include your relevant job titles, companies that employed you, and the dates you were employed.
Most people will finish this section by listing daily duties in short bullet points. Don’t be one of them!
To make your resume stand out, you need to add your accomplishments and key skills to your resume’s Work Experience section.
Here are three tips from our experts:
- Use the STAR method to describe a situation, task, action, and result. This is adapted from a behavioral interview technique, so interviewers will recognize the format. it’s also a great chance for you to organize your key accomplishments.
- Don’t forget about LinkedIn! The majority of employers are going to look you up on LinkedIn, so it’s smart to make sure your LInkedIn profile is up to date and include your URL in your resume’s contact section.
- Always include a cover letter. Not everyone will bother, so it helps you look like a serious job applicant. It’s also your chance to introduce yourself: who you are, why you’re applying for this job, and how you want to proceed.
And let’s wrap it all up!
We wish you the best of luck for your job hunt, and don’t forget to check out our Cover Letter Tips!
Didn’t get the specific answers you wanted from this page? Please leave a comment with your question or visit Zipjob on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to ask. And if you really liked the sample, don’t forget to pin it on Pinterest!
Your download has started!
Professional Resume Services
Land 2x More Interviews…Guaranteed!