Principals run schools and ensure all students are taught in a safe environment. Below is a general Principal job description:
School principals and headmasters serve as the head of their school and are ultimately responsible for the performance of teachers, students, and other employees. To perform the job successfully, principals must have teaching, managerial, and planning skills, as well as the ability to communicate the school’s performance and needs to school board members and other leaders within the school district. Additionally, they must communicate the needs, expectations and requirements of the school to its employees and students they also help develop and implement plans to meet these standards.Payscale
If this is the kind of job you want or you have, you’re in the right place! We have a resume example for you and three tips from our professional resume writers below.
Principal Resume Example
💡ZipTip: view 200+ more professional resume samples for all industries, along with a guide to writing resumes from our experts.
Principal Resume (text version)
email | www.linkedin.com/in/ | phone number
Compassionate, student-focused, Principal highly regarded for planning curriculum, implementing positive learning strategies, and driving test scores. Possesses in-depth understanding of standardized testing, common core learning standards, and performance benchmarking. Dynamic communication skills with proven ability to build lasting relationships with teachers, staff, students, and parents. Leverages organizational skills to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Motivational leader who enjoys actively engaging with students and educators. Thrives in fast-paced and diverse environments that champion student success.
- Relationship Building
- Staff Development
- Student Relations
- Parent Relations
- Middle School Education
- Performance Metrics
- School Activities
ZipJob, New York City, NY Year – Present
Built productive relationships with parents of students facing difficult situations at school or at home. Modeled expected and appropriate leadership to promote teaching staff and administrative personnel’s positive interaction with students and families.
- Performed diverse human resource activities, including hiring, training, disciplinary and termination in compliance with legal guidelines and requirements.
- Ensured adherence to regulatory funding sources across programs and outcomes.
- Modeled expected and appropriate leadership to promote teaching staff and administrative personnel’s positive interaction with students and families.
- Established instructional practices driven by statistical performance data.
- Facilitated continued education for teaching staff through implementation of quality curriculum training and appropriation of necessary resources.
- Communicated policies and procedures to students and parents regarding student behavior.
ZipJob, New York City, NY Year – Year
Led meetings to convey policy changes, gather information and assess employee thoughts. Developed subject and grade leaders to advance oversight and improve instruction.
- Established a positive, stimulating learning environment for students and an exciting education-focused setting for teachers, ensuring that all felt valued.
- Interviewed, hired, supervised and assisted all school employees and offered feedback through positive methods.
- Mentored newly hired educators and provided encouragement and feedback.
- Trained teachers on effective teaching techniques, classroom management strategies and behavior modification.
- Administered standardized tests to evaluate student performance and progress.
- Monitored and evaluated educational programs to ensure performance objectives and standards are continuously achieved.
Bachelor of Education | New York University, NY
Bonus: free resume template
ZipJob now offers a resume template you can download. The template is set up with an easy to read layout like the example above: clear section headings, modern font, and follows a reverse-chronological resume format (preferred by both hiring managers and ATS scans).
How to write a Principal resume: 3 tips
Do you have any numbers on your resume?
Since resumes are mostly text, using numbers can be an easy and powerful way to get your accomplishments to stand out. Adding metrics, percentages, and quantities to your resume will help translate your past experience into future value to your employers!
The best places to include numbers are often within your work experience, especially when talking about groups of people or things. You can specify how many people you worked with, or how many tasks you completed, or even how long it took to to finish something. Also look for words like “several” or “some” and see if you can use a number there instead.
Even if you don’t know the exact number, it’s more valuable to guess than to leave it vague.
Maximize your core competencies
Your core competencies, or key skills, are a powerful way to show an ATS scan that you’re a great applicant. This section should change slightly for almost every job you apply for. You want to keep it highly tailored to the job description. For example, if one of your core competencies is customer service but the job description is looking for client communication skills, swap out “customer service” for “client communication.”
To identify the best skills to highlight here, this list of 10 vital skills to put on your resume is a good starting point.
Only include 10 to 15 years of experience
You should keep your resume’s work experience limited to the last 10 or 15 years. There are two reasons for this:
- It keeps your resume focused on your most recent experience
- It keeps your resume focused on your most relevant experience
In most cases, the jobs you held more than 15 years ago will not help you land a job. Either you have done similar tasks more recently, in which case you don’t need to repeat yourself. On the other hand, you may have changed careers since then, making your previous experience confusing and irrelevant.
For more about relevant work experience, head over to this article next: What Does Relevant Work Experience Mean On A Resume?
Having a great resume will help you land your next job as a Principal. Use this example as a guide to what kind of skills and experience employers are looking for in this field.
Still have questions? Comment below or hire your own resume writer. Zipjob has over 100 professional resume writers with experience in all industries, ready to help you create your best resume. Click below to see our services: