LinkedIn is the largest professional networking site in the world and one of the largest job search sites. Many employers list jobs on LinkedIn and prefer the platform over other popular job boards given the size of the potential applicant pool and LinkedIn’s advanced filter options.
A savvy job seeker should leverage both a resume and LinkedIn to support their job applications. Since your LinkedIn profile and your resume are different, you may want to upload your resume to your LinkedIn profile. In this article, we’ll tell you two ways to add your resume to your LinkedIn.
Word of Caution—
Most companies today use ATS systems to automatically screen resumes. As many as 75% of resumes are automatically rejected. Make sure you use a standard format and keyword-optimize your resume. You can get a free ATS scan here:
Free Resume Review
Most companies today use ATS systems to automatically screen resumes. As many as 75% of resumes are automatically rejected. Make sure you use a standard format and keyword-optimize your resume. You can get a free ATS scan here: Free Resume Review
Method #1 – Upload your resume to your profile
Your LinkedIn can be a more comprehensive version of your work history, but your resume should still be tailored to your career goals. While a key-word optimized profile can help a recruiter or hiring manager find you on LinkedIn, most hiring professionals still want to see a resume. Here’s how you can add your resume to your LinkedIn.
1. Go to your profile. Scroll down to your About section, directly below your Intro, and click on the pencil icon.
2. Select “Upload” from the popup box. Find your most recent resume in Word format. Make sure that your resume file name is your name + resume.
3. Click save. Your resume will now be available as an attachment on your profile. Depending on your privacy settings, your resume is now available for anyone to view and download.
Method #2 – Save your resume for Easy Apply applications
In addition to uploading your resume to your profile, you can save up to three resumes on LinkedIn to quickly attach your resume when you apply for a job.
Even though some jobs don’t require a resume, we recommend you use both your LinkedIn profile and resume when applying to jobs.
Here is how you can save multiple versions of your resume on LinkedIn:
1. Go to the Jobs tab in the navigation bar.
2. Search for a job you would want to apply for that has the LinkedIn Easy Apply option.
3. Attach your resume with the application. LinkedIn will save the last three resumes you uploaded. You may want to change the file names so you know which is which.
Your LinkedIn and resumes serve different purposes, so you want to make sure they are both up to date and keyword-optimized. Our team of experts recommends that you attach a resume to every job application, but check out our post on where to post your resume online for our thoughts on security risks.
Good luck with your job search!