A Medical Laboratory Scientist works in a laboratory to run tests and samples. Here is a general job description for a Medical Laboratory Scientist:
Medical laboratory technicians perform standard medical lab tests such as blood tests, immunoassays, and cultures. They must be able to work independently to take lab tests and interpret patient results. They also must work with other health care professionals, such as doctors and nurses, to solve medical problems. Additionally, they are responsible for phlebotomy work, which includes the collection and preparation of patient samples, such as blood, urine, or stool. They must observe patient confidentiality protocols, as they are often working with sensitive personal information.Payscale
If this is the kind of job you want or you have, you’re in the right place! We have a resume example for you and three tips from our professional resume writers below.
Medical Laboratory Scientist Resume Example
💡ZipTip: view 200+ more professional resume samples for all industries, along with a guide to writing resumes from our experts.
Medical Laboratory Scientist Resume (text version)
email | www.linkedin.com/in/ | phone number
Medical Laboratory Scientist
Blood Chemistry | Hematology | Testing
Technical, Medical Laboratory Technician with experience working for large organizations to optimize specimen processing. Profoundly knowledgeable and resourceful technologist known for ensuring accuracy and timely delivery in extremely fast-paced environments. Detail orientated with expertise in various laboratory testing methodologies, equipment, disease states, and clinical significances. Strong academic and laboratory qualifications including my Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science in addition to my hospital experience. Exceptional presentation and communication skills who excels working within a close-knit team which is focused on customer service, collaboration and ensuring patient safety.
- Serology Urinanalysis
- Test Type
- Quality Control
- State/Routine Testing
Medical Laboratory Scientist | ZipJob | New York City, NY Year – Present
- Worked within a very close-knit team in a busy hospital to promptly execute and analyze tests in numerous areas including chemistry, hematology, bacteriology, serology urinalysis and histology.
- Developed strong rapport with key Physicians and assisted them in the diagnosis and treatment of disease states
- Performed stat and routine testing on a variety of specimens, always ensuring accuracy and timely delivery.
- Prepared samples and reagents for testing according to laboratory policies.
- Operated and calibrated an assortment of laboratory equipment including xxx, xx and xxx.
- Evaluated quality control within the laboratory using standard laboratory tests and measurement controls while always ensuring compliance with safety and risk-management guidelines.
Laboratory Technologist | ZipJob | New York City, NY Year – Present
- Contributed to a centralized computerized test reporting system to allow patients to check their results online.
- Assisted in research for possible cures.
- Maintained testing equipment and prepared specimens/samples.
- Improved inventory monitoring to ensure stock was available for stat testing.
- Proactively researched methods to improve accuracy.
Bachelor of Science in Medical Science | New York University
Bonus: free resume template
ZipJob now offers a resume template you can download. The template is set up with an easy to read layout like the example above: clear section headings, modern font, and follows a reverse-chronological resume format (preferred by both hiring managers and ATS scans).
How to write a Medical Laboratory Scientist resume: 3 tips
Do you have any numbers on your resume?
Since resumes are mostly text, using numbers can be an easy and powerful way to get your accomplishments to stand out. Adding metrics, percentages, and quantities to your resume will help translate your past experience into future value to your employers!
The best places to include numbers are often within your work experience, especially when talking about groups of people or things. You can specify how many people you worked with, or how many tasks you completed, or even how long it took to to finish something. Also look for words like “several” or “some” and see if you can use a number there instead.
Even if you don’t know the exact number, it’s more valuable to guess than to leave it vague.
Only include 10 to 15 years of experience
You should keep your resume’s work experience limited to the last 10 or 15 years. There are two reasons for this:
- It keeps your resume focused on your most recent experience
- It keeps your resume focused on your most relevant experience
In most cases, the jobs you held more than 15 years ago will not help you land a job. Either you have done similar tasks more recently, in which case you don’t need to repeat yourself. On the other hand, you may have changed careers since then, making your previous experience confusing and irrelevant.
For more about relevant work experience, head over to this article next: What Does Relevant Work Experience Mean On A Resume?
Always add a cover letter
Your cover letter is your chance to start a conversation with your employer. Your resume proves you have the skills and qualifications for the job, but your cover letter invites a further discussion. Whenever possible, use a cover letter to succinctly explain why you’re the perfect fit for the role. You can also highlight your most compelling achievements from your resume–but limit yourself to two or three achievements. Finally, invite the employer to contact you by phone or email.
For more cover letter tips, head over to our guide: What A Good Cover Letter Looks Like
Having a great resume will help you land your next job as a Medical Laboratory Scientist. Use this example as a guide to what kind of skills and experience employers are looking for in this field.
Still have questions? Comment below or hire your own resume writer. Zipjob has over 100 professional resume writers with experience in all industries, ready to help you create your best resume. Click below to see our services: