A Geologist is a type of Scientist with skills in technical writing, analytics, and scientific research. Here is a general job description for a professional Geologist:
Geologists have both theoretical and scientific duties, as well as many practical responsibilities, so wide-ranging knowledge in different areas is important in this position. A bachelor’s degree in geology is generally required, and knowledge of mathematics, geology, chemistry, and physics is also necessary. Geologists must also have good communication and writing skills, knowledge of all relevant laws and regulations, and knowledge of software development to analyze geological data. As with most careers in the sciences, writing research papers may be a significant part of the job, and these may be presented at conferences. Some geologists also teach at universities.Payscale
If this is the kind of job you want or you have, you’re in the right place! We have a resume example for you and three tips from our professional resume writers below.
Geologist Resume Example
💡ZipTip: view 200+ more professional resume samples for all industries, along with a guide to writing resumes from our experts.
Cab Driver Resume (text version)
email | www.linkedin.com/in/ | phone number
Field Techniques | Computational Skills | Instrumentation
Skilled Bachelor of Science Geologist and certified Project Manager with extensive field work of intense field techniques and computational geological analysis. Multi-lingual, detail orientated with experience in numerous techniques and excels in environments that expect a high level of dedication and loyalty. Possesses a strong passion for research, data manipulation along with strong critical thinking skills. Excellent customer service skills, and excels at interacting with customers, team members and management. Comfortable working in the field of within a department with the ability to complete multiple projects with competition deadlines.
- Rock Identification
- Structural Analysis
- Map Interpretation
- Soil Testing
- Deformation Analysis
- Grain Analysis
Geologist | ZipJob | New York City, NY Year – Present
- Assisted Chief Geologist in a collaborative effort involving collection and interpretation of subsurface geologic data and production data to determine trends in shallow prospectivity in Jim Wells County, Texas.
- Undertook regional new ventures study of Eocene Yegua, Cook Mountain, and Wilcox intervals.
- Developed regional geologic model for an emerging Cook Mountain play using well logs and interpreting 3D seismic to evaluate prospectivity.
- Coordinated between management, geoscience, land, legal, engineering, and accounting to produce detailed weekly activity report for all ongoing Antares operations.
- Organized and moderated weekly conference call between Dallas, TX and Perth, Western Australia offices.
- Risk Analysis, Prospect Evaluation and Exploration Economics (Rose & Associates) 2009
- Fluvio-Deltaic Reservoir Characterization-Two part field/classroom, Ferron Sandstone, Utah (The Aries Group) 2011
Geologist | ZipJob | New York City, NY Year – Present
- Effectively interpreted the Morphology, Paleohydrology, and Speleo-Genesis of the Cucaracha Cave System Conduits.
- Created a map illustrating the relationship between the Cave’s morphology and paleohydrology
- Carefully studied the Cave’s location in relation to the construction of Route PR-22 and presented the results to local Legislators to protect and preserve the Cave’s natural resources.
- Conducted additional studies to predict the origination and possible direction of “Rio Chico” as well as its springs.
Bachelor of Science in Earth Science | New York University
Bonus: free resume template
ZipJob now offers a resume template you can download. The template is set up with an easy to read layout like the example above: clear section headings, modern font, and follows a reverse-chronological resume format (preferred by both hiring managers and ATS scans).
How to write a Geologist resume: 3 tips
Use soft skills throughout your resume
Strong job applicants should have a mix of hard skills and soft skills. Soft skills include collaboration, communication, emotional intelligence, and creativity. Instead of listing these within a skills section, you should use examples of how you have used soft skills in your work history. For example:
- Collaborated with sales and product development teams to design, implement, and oversee new marketing campaign
- Solved ongoing problem with tracking shipments by implementing an Excel sheet system that automatically updated when shipments left the warehouse
- Communicated effectively with internal and external stakeholders throughout 6 month project, providing weekly email updates and a wrap up presentation with key points, results, and future plans
Have a clear career target
As you could see from the job description, there are many kinds of professionals in this field. When updating your own resume, you’ll want to make sure your experience is as relevant as possible. The best way to do this is to have a clear career target. Then, write your resume with that goal in mind.
ZipTip: Give every line a second look and think “would an employer care about this experience?” If the answer is no, take it off your resume!
Always add a cover letter
Your cover letter is your chance to start a conversation with your employer. Your resume proves you have the skills and qualifications for the job, but your cover letter invites a further discussion. Whenever possible, use a cover letter to succinctly explain why you’re the perfect fit for the role. You can also highlight your most compelling achievements from your resume–but limit yourself to two or three achievements. Finally, invite the employer to contact you by phone or email.
For more cover letter tips, head over to our guide: What A Good Cover Letter Looks Like
Having a great resume will help you land your next job as a Geologist. Use this example as a guide to what kind of skills and experience employers are looking for in this field.
Still have questions? Comment below or hire your own resume writer. Zipjob has over 100 professional resume writers with experience in all industries, ready to help you create your best resume. Click below to see our services: