Microbiologists study microorganisms, such as bacteria and viruses. Here is a general job description for a Microbiologist:
Microbiologists study the biology of microorganisms such as viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoa and algae; examples of microbiologists include bacteriologists, virologists, immunologists and clinical microbiologists. They often work in research and development, although they may also instruct students in microbiology if they hold a position at colleges and universities. Their duties include conducting research projects to examine microorganisms, preparing samples for testing (such as through plating, swabbing and/or incubation), recording their findings accurately, and writing reports and research papers on their findings. Microbiologists also supervise biological technicians and other laboratory workers, as well as stay up to date on research and developments within their field.Payscale
If this is the kind of job you want or you have, you’re in the right place! We have a resume example for you based on Microbiologist job descriptions, as well as three tips from our professional resume writers.
Microbiologist Resume Example
💡ZipTip: view 200+ more professional resume samples for all industries, along with a guide to writing resumes from our experts.
Microbiologist Resume (text version)
email | www.linkedin.com/in/ | phone number
Laboratory Management | Equipment Usage and Maintenance
Enthusiastic, highly adaptable, Microbiologist known for the ability to carry out complex tests, review data and develop detailed reports to advise whether the results are valid against relevant testing protocols. Known for designing innovative protocols meeting stringent federal and international standards. Experienced working with microorganisms at both the molecular and cellular level. Possesses excellent analytical, writing, research, and communication skills gained from four years of industry experience. Strong academic qualifications including a Bachelor of Science in Microbiology and Immunology combined with a passion for research, data manipulation, and analytical thinking.
- Microbiological Testing
- Cell Cultures
- Sample Preparation
- Gram Negative
- Gram Positive
- Product Testing
- Method Validation
- Data Interpretation
Microbiologist | ZipJob | New York City, NY
Year – Present
- Researched information about scientific and technological topics to enable development of
- new products, processes, and services.
- Provided contractual environmental sampling support for a clean room operation validation.
- Responsible for environmental, utility, clean steam, CO¬¨2, nitrogen, and air quality sampling.
- Performed lethality experiments using steel disc biological indicators inoculated with G. Stearothermophilus, and placed in pre-filled syringes.
- Measured the levels of pH and used FTIR to measure chemical changes of pre-filled syringes and bioresorbable polymers.
- Wrote and edited SOPs for laboratory equipment.
- Mixed bacterial growth media, such as Tryptic Soy Agar, and performed general lab maintenance work.
Microbiologist | ZipJob | New York City, NY
Year – Present
- Identified microorganisms in a wide range of environments using numerous laboratory tests
- Reviewed and approved data generated from testing
- Planned complex projects, investigated results and published data.
Ph.D. in Biology | New York University
Bachelor of Science in Biology | New York University
Bonus: free resume template
ZipJob now offers a resume template you can download. The template is set up with an easy to read layout like the example above: clear section headings, modern font, and follows a reverse-chronological resume format (preferred by both hiring managers and ATS scans).
How to write a Microbiologist resume: 3 tips from our experts
Always add a cover letter
Your cover letter is your chance to start a conversation with your employer. Your resume proves you have the skills and qualifications for the job, but your cover letter invites a further discussion. Whenever possible, use a cover letter to succinctly explain why you’re the perfect fit for the role. You can also highlight your most compelling achievements from your resume–but limit yourself to two or three achievements. Finally, invite the employer to contact you by phone or email.
For more cover letter tips, head over to our guide: What A Good Cover Letter Looks Like
Maximize your core competencies
Your core competencies, or key skills, are a powerful way to show an ATS scan that you’re a great applicant. This section should change slightly for almost every job you apply for. You want to keep it highly tailored to the job description. For example, if one of your core competencies is customer service but the job description is looking for client communication skills, swap out “customer service” for “client communication.”
To identify the best skills to highlight here, this list of 10 vital skills to put on your resume is a good starting point.
Use soft skills throughout your resume
Strong job applicants should have a mix of hard skills and soft skills. Soft skills include collaboration, communication, emotional intelligence, and creativity. Instead of listing these within a skills section, you should use examples of how you have used soft skills in your work history. For example:
- Collaborated with sales and product development teams to design, implement, and oversee new marketing campaign
- Solved ongoing problem with tracking shipments by implementing an Excel sheet system that automatically updated when shipments left the warehouse
- Communicated effectively with internal and external stakeholders throughout 6 month project, providing weekly email updates and a wrap up presentation with key points, results, and future plans
Having a great resume will help you land your next job as a Microbiologist. Use this example as a guide to what kind of skills and experience employers are looking for in this field.
Still have questions? Comment below or hire your own resume writer. Zipjob has over 100 professional resume writers with experience in all industries, ready to help you create your best resume. Click below to see our services: