To be a top candidate for executive positions, you need an executive resume that highlights your leadership ability, technical skill, and job fit. What can the best executive resume services do for you?
As a high-level business leader, you should have a high-level, executive resume. Even if you aren’t actively looking for a new leadership position, experts recommend that you update your resume periodically so you’re ready for anything. However, an executive resume has a different goal than other resumes. An executive resume needs to convey a stronger message: not only are you the right person for this position, but also the right person to lead this company.
To address that challenge, your resume needs to quickly communicate that you have all the qualities an executive search team is looking for: innate leadership ability and relevant leadership skills, plus seeming genuine and invaluable.
Zipjob understands where you’re coming from, and that your time is valuable. Our team of career experts and professional resume writers did the research for you and compiled a list of the top 7 executive resume writing services in the US and Canada. We summarized their strengths, differentials, price range, and general process protocols, so you can be sure you choose the service that is right for you.
Best Executive Resume Writing Services
Here is our list of the best resume writing services in 2021 for executives, which includes C-Suite, board members, vice president, and director-level positions. Job seekers can use this list to navigate this blog post, or scroll down to read all our expert reviews.
- Zipjob Executive
- LinkedIn ProFinder
- Career Steering
- Mary Elizabeth Brandford
- Capstone Resume Services
- Resume Pilots
This list does not include any affiliate links or paid placements like the majority of articles out there. You’ll find more information about affiliate marketing and fake lists after our service reviews.
What makes an executive resume writing service different?
While there are plenty of executive resume writing services, many of them aren’t geared toward executives. An executive resume should be two pages long, represent no more than 15 years of experience, and zero in on what makes you uniquely qualified. Not every resume writer can manage this. A qualified, certified executive resume writer can.
In addition to the professional resume product, most executive resume writing services in 2021 offer related services. LinkedIn profile updates are the most common, but some professional resume services also offer cover letters, networking message templates, professional bios, a review process, and resume distribution services.
Finally, an executive resume package might offer coaching services: executive coaching, interview coaching, executive salary negotiation coaching, or career coaching. If you’re looking to improve more than just your resume, a full-service executive package is the right choice for you.
How much should an executive resume cost?
Average cost of an executive resume by the top resume writers.
Executive resumes can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. When writing this article, we researched dozens of resume writing services and found $2,300 to be about the average.
Take this with a grain of salt, though: many executive services include resumes as part of a package deal with services like the ones listed above. The time, experience, and training of executive resume writers makes the price point much higher than your average resume cost.
Keep that value-add in mind as you check out these top executive resume services. We’ve included price and other information for each service.
1. Zipjob Executive
Land 2 to 3 times more interviews with a Zipjob resume
- Pricing: $799
- Turnaround: 3 to 10 days
- Writers: 10+
- Industries: All industries including IT, Marketing, Legal, and Healthcare.
No surprise: we think Zipjob’s new services for executives is the best executive resume service for 2021.
Zipjob uses a tech-informed, expert-designed protocol to create high-performing resumes that appeal to hiring managers and ATS (applicant tracking system) software: the same technology used by employers to screen resumes.
The Zipjob executive resume writing process also includes resume keyword optimization. All of the writers are trained on identifying and including high-impact keywords throughout your resume. As a final step, your resume is sent through the in-house ATS scan to ensure it parses correctly.
This combination of expert resume writers and tech-focused resumes has earned this service a fair amount of media coverage. You can read about Zipjob on Forbes and CheatSheet, and see advice from Zipjob’s career experts featured in Fortune, Ladders, Business News Daily, and Acorns.
Most recently, Zipjob was ranked as the Best Resume Service For Executives by Career Cloud.
Zipjob has a network of over 100 professional resume writers with experience in all major industries. A hand-selected subset of Zipjob’s writers now work with executive clients to create high-impact resumes designed to earn twice as many interviews–guaranteed.
Pros of using Zipjob
- Professional writers — Zipjob only uses US-based professional writers with backgrounds in HR, Recruiting, Career Coaching, Job Placement and Professional Writing. Only the top few writers work with executive clients.
- Accessible communication — One of the few services that allow you direct, unlimited access to your writer until your project is complete.
- Collaboration — You can count on Zipjob to work with you to create the perfect resume for your unique experience and career goals. Zipjob provides you with revisions, advice, and explanations directly from your personal resume coach.
- No revision limits — While other resume writing services limit the number of revisions they’ll make, Zipjob offers unlimited revisions. You can enjoy the peace of mind of knowing you’ll be 100% satisfied with your final draft. Zipjob also has a free resume update offer. At any point, you can come back and request an update to your Zipjob resume, free of charge.
You can contact Zipjob by phone at (888) 944-9929 or by email at email@example.com. There are also live chat services from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
2. LinkedIn ProFinder
- Pricing: $100 – $2,500+
- Turnaround: 3 to 14 days
- Writers: 100+
- Industries: All industries, including Finance, IT, Healthcare, and more.
LinkedIn ProFinder is a more direct approach to finding your own resume writer, with less fuss and more straight-forward results. ProFinder will ask you a few questions to determine what your needs are and within 24 hours email you a comprehensive list of resume service providers you can choose from.
ProFinder gives you the power to decide who you want to work with and what rate you want to pay. You may not get the bundled, comprehensive service as with some other providers, but you can speed up your process and research your writer before making a commitment.
Pros of using LinkedIn ProFinder
- Price — Because you are working with individual writers who are providing you a freelance service, the rates tend to be much lower than the big-name brands. You can also communicate with your writer before committing to your purchase, giving you room to ask questions and perhaps negotiate your price and/or additional services.
- Global — ProFinder uses the LinkedIn database, so you can find providers across the globe, within your target market, or in your own area.
- Faster Turnaround Time — Once you make your choice, most writers will have a first draft to you within a few business days. If you are in a time crunch, this can make a big difference to make sure you don’t miss out on current job opportunities.
LinkedIn ProFinder offers other services as well, including interview coaches, professional headshot photographers, LinkedIn profile writers, and career coaches.
- Pricing: $349
- Turnaround: 7 to 14 days
- Writers: 1,500+
- Industries: All industries including Military transition, Academic, and Federal resumes.
This list would not be complete without TopResume. TopResume is a large company with a significant market presence. Their brand is mostly associated with entry-mid level resume services, but their Executive Priority Package is customized for the senior professional, with a promise of an executive-level writer from the top 10% of their large network.
Its website includes some awesome statistics, such as that a professional resume can make you 38% more likely to be contacted by recruiters, 31% more likely to land an interview, and 40% more likely to land a job.
Pros for TopResume
- Large, well-established company — TopResume was founded in 2014 along with its parent company, Talent Inc. It has a network of 1,500+ resume writers across the country as well as a wide global network.
- History of success — TopResume has helped over 400,000 professionals “land more interviews and get hired faster.”
- Positive reviews — Given how big it is, TopResume has had the opportunity to help lots of people. It has over 6,000 five-star reviews on Trustpilot for resume writing services.
The communication happens completely online through the TopResume website, unless you add a phone call for an additional fee. If you need to contact the company, you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-604-1929 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET on weekdays. It also has a live chat option from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
4. Career Steering Executive Resume Services
- Pricing: $1,595 – $4,000+
- Turnaround: 2 to 4 weeks from start to finish
- Writers: 1, Rosa Elizabeth Vargas + support staff
- Industries: All industries including Operations, Technology, and Finance.
Career Steering Premium Executive Resume Writing Services boasts an award-winning and highly decorated resume writer, Rosa Elizabeth Vargas, who has attained multiple certifications including MRW, CERW, CMRW, ACRW, and CCMC. She specializes in boutique resume services plus interview/career coaching, boasting a network full of HR executives and Fortune 500 leaders across the globe.
Pros of using Career Steering Premium Executive Resume Writing Services
- Personalized Service — Promises one-on-one 60-minute consultation by phone, Zoom, or Skype and a resume experience that is customized to your specific requirements and goals.
- Bundled Packages — Pick from a number of package options that include a LinkedIn overhaul, multiple resume versions and custom cover letters, interview coaching, resume distribution services, personal website design, and overall branding services.
This provider boasts results, but you will need to schedule your purchase way ahead of your targeted job search, as the waitlist can be up to 4 weeks long. You can also purchase a la carte options if you do not want a bundled experience. A single executive resume will cost you about $1,500.
5. Mary Elizabeth Bradford, Executive Resume Writer
- Pricing: $2,600 – $11,000
- Turnaround: 14 to 30 days
- Writers: 1, with a team to expedite services
- Industries: All industries with a focus on fast-growing industries, startups, financial services, small business, non-profits, and healthcare
This service is VERY comprehensive, and casts a wide net of services and products that are specific to an executive and the opportunities they have to brand/market themselves. The Mary Elizabeth Bradford, CERM, CMRW, CARW, MCD, NCOPE Top Executive Resume Writer / C-Level Executive Resume Writer is one-on-one and includes multiple phone calls, emails, and follow-up communications to guarantee all your questions are answered and needs are met.
Pros of using Mary Elizabeth Bradford, Executive Resume Writer
- Highly interpersonal — If you are looking for a partner in your career growth journey, this offers very personalized services that are customized for you. Many of the packages include a promise of continued collaboration after your project is finalized so you can continue to seek guidance and advice.
- Lots of options — This company offers many options beyond the resume itself. Packages can include career and interview coaching, LinkedIn updates, BOD-specific documents, recruiter & hiring manager networking tools, Value Proposition Letters, website design, an Executive Biography, and online education programs.
Her website lists many of the certifications and accolades she has earned during her 12+ years of experience in this role. This service is the most personalized, and most expensive, executive resume provider we researched. If money and time are not an issue for you, this could be a good fit.
However, most services are significantly less expensive with a faster delivery. At the time of our research, the next available phone consultation was 2 and ½ weeks out.
6. Capstone Resume Services
- Pricing: $299+
- Turnaround: 2 to 3 days
- Writers: 5+
- Industries: All industries, including Professional, Academic, and Federal.
Capstone Resumes offer a variety of specialized resume services, such as Federal and Executive Level resumes. The company was started by Amy Giles, who has been writing resumes since 2003. Capstone Resumes was formerly called Giles Career Services, but now specializes in the resume writing portion of the business.
Pros of using Capstone Resumes
- Conversation-First Approach — Capstone Resume services begin with a 15 to 30-minute phone call, instead of the written questionnaire approach most companies use.
- Certified Writers — The resume writers are introduced with a photo and a certification on the Capstone website. Each member is a Certified Professional Resume Writer with a unique background.
- Specializations — Certain resumes, like Executive, require specialized formats. Capstone Resumes has different payment options for their resume services, as opposed to the more common tiered pricing approach. With the team’s combined background in HR, recruitment, and military, it is likely these formats are effective for those seeking more industry-specific documents.
- Quick Delivery Time — Many positive reviewers mention how they received their resumes with 1 to 3 days of their initial phone consultation.
- Easy To Contact — Amy, the owner of Capstone Resumes, makes her direct email very easy to find. She appears to be quite responsive and open to revisions to ensure client satisfaction.
7. Resume Pilots
- Pricing: $399 – $695
- Turnaround: 1 to 5 business days
- Writers: 10+
- Industries: All industries, including Finance, Pharmaceuticals, Startups and Fortune 500 Companies
Resume Pilots’ niche offering is that all their writers are ivy-league educated experts. The company founder, Matt Glodz, is a graduate of Cornell University and specializes in business communications.
Pros of using Resume Pilots
- Ivy League Writers — You can rest assured that your writers understand the nuances of grammar, spelling, and sentence composition while bringing a unique blend of strong vocabularies and industry training to the table.
- Fast Delivery — The delivery times are between 1 and 5 days, and the revision period is limited to 2 rounds and 1 phone call (if needed). You will have a final resume in hand within 1 to 2 weeks and hitting the job market with confidence.
- Personalized service — Your telephone consultation can be tailored to include interview coaching and/or career growth advice.
What to look for in an executive resume service
1. Learn how to spot a scam
First, you want to avoid scam services. The resume writing industry, unfortunately, had a number of virtual services pop up recently that claim to be legitimate. In fact, these companies will take your money and never give you a product…or the product they market is not at all as advertised.
To avoid these scams, you should look for multiple ways to contact the company: email addresses, phone numbers, and even physical addresses. You should ask for examples of past work and reviews from past clients.
While not a scam, it’s important to note that resume writing services differ from CV writing services–a top-notch curriculum vitae in France will not land you a job in the USA or Canada. To avoid frustration or confusion, your resume writer should be based in the same country you are.
2. Look for reviews
You need to look for reviews. Freelance or smaller executive resume services may not be as well known, but should provide a review or a contact if you ask. Large executive resume writing services with national reach usually have reviews from a third-party site easily available. Zipjob, for example, has over 900 reviews on Trustpilot.
3. Communication preferences
Finally, you want to make sure your executive resume writing service will communicate with you the way you want. Most resume companies are set up to collaborate virtually, whether that is via email, phone, or video call. However, not every service offers all of these options. Some only offer phone calls as an add-on. If you know you don’t want to type out your accomplishments and career history, be sure you can schedule a call with your resume writer before you buy.
Caution: Look out for affiliate marketing posing as impartial recommendations
Unfortunately, many recent “best resume writing services” lists are affiliate marketing. While this doesn’t mean the services are scams, it does mean that the people writing the lists have a financial interest in you purchasing services through their links.
Sites that claim to be impartial and unbiased are, in fact, affiliated with the services they recommend. ShareASale.com and lots of similar affiliate programs out there work on the premise of commissions: you send me a paying customer and I’ll pay you a cut of the sale.
So if you want to earn some of those commission payments, it’s in your best interest to send as many paying customers as possible to the ShareASale partner. You can spot these types of affiliate links if you hover your mouse over a link without clicking:
You can try out that trick on any of the links on this post. We’re linking to sites that we researched, ranked, and really feel confident about including on this list. Nobody paid us to be on this list.
Why it matters
It means that the author of these money-for-traffic sites wants to send you to the website that pays them the most, not necessarily the one that will give YOU the best service.
Again, a quick disclaimer: affiliate sales have been around a long time, and they’re not necessarily shady by definition. After all, it doesn’t cost the user any more.
But, legally, there’s supposed to be some transparency in these affiliate setups. You need to know if you can trust the recommendation. And undisclosed sales commissions could erode that trust.
There are many executive-level professional resume writing services to choose from. Since there is no shortage of fraudulent services out there, do your due diligence before giving your private information to a less than reputable company!
The best executive resume writing services have good examples, positive reviews, and responsive customer service teams. A variety of ways to contact the company is a good indicator of a legitimate business, but we advise you to try out one or two methods of contact before making your selection. Steer clear of disconnected phone numbers and bounced emails!
One final tip from an executive resume writer: a lot of resume services offer a free consultation or free review before you buy. Zipjob has a free resume review with personalized advice from a professional resume writer.
If you choose to get several reviews before picking an executive resume service, be sure to look for specific feedback that relates to your resume. This will give you an indication of how the service will work with you.
Good luck with your job search!