The internet is saturated with resume service providers and resume writing experts giving conflicting advice on the best strategies for maximizing your resume’s effectiveness.
It is true there are several standards that are generally adhered to regardless of industry or job title, but things get a bit more complicated when you are an executive. The prospect of hiring someone to step into a new organization as a visionary and influencer is debatably one of the most important decisions a company will ever make.
To address that challenge, your resume needs to communicate that you are the right person who has all the qualities they’re looking for: innate leadership ability and relevant skills, plus seeming genuine and invaluable.
Zipjob understands where you’re coming from, and that your time is valuable. So our team of career experts and professional resume writers did the research for you and compiled a list of the Top 9 Executive Resume Writing Services in the US and Canada. We summarized their strengths, differentials, price range, and general process protocols, so you can be sure you choose the service that is right for you.
Best Executive Resume Writing Services
Here is our list of the best resume writing services in 2020 for executives. You can use this list to navigate this blog post, or scroll down to read all our expert synopses.
- LinkedIn ProFinder
- Find My Profession
- Chameleon Resumes
- Career Steering Premium Executive Resume Writers
- Mary Elizabeth Bradford Executive Resume Writer
- Resume Pilots
- Capstone Resume Services
Average cost of an executive resume by the top resume services.
This list does not include any affiliate links or paid placements like the majority of articles out there. You’ll find more information about affiliate marketing and fake lists after our service reviews.
Land more interviews — with Zipjob
- Pricing: $299
- Turnaround: 3 to 10 days
- Writers: 100+
- Industries: All industries including Business, Finance, IT, Healthcare, Sales, Marketing, and more.
Zipjob uses a tech-informed, expert-designed protocol to create resumes that appeal to ATS scans and hiring managers: the same technology used by employers to screen resumes.
Writers experienced in resume keyword optimization add an extra step at the end of the process to ensure your new resume will be parsed correctly by an ATS scan.
Pros of using Zipjob
- Professional writers — US-based writers.
- ATS technology — 75% of resumes are rejected by resume scanners (ATS). Zipjob uses the same ATS technology employers use to help ensure your resume gets through to a hiring manager.
- Accessible communication — One of the few services that allow you direct, unlimited access to your writer until your project is complete.
- Collaboration — You can count on Zipjob to work with you to create the perfect resume for your unique experience and career goals. Zipjob provides you with revisions, advice, and explanations.
- No limits — While other resume writing services limit the number of revisions they’ll make, Zipjob offers unlimited revisions. You can enjoy the peace of mind of knowing you’ll be 100% satisfied with your final draft.
- Reputation — Zipjob’s reputation speaks for itself. Zipjob has been featured in Forbes, Reader’s Digest, Marketwatch, Glassdoor, The Muse and other big-name media outlets. In addition, Zipjob has earned over 600 five-star reviews and 10,000+ happy clients.
How Zipjob works
- Upload your resume and answer a few questions.
- Get matched with a resume writing expert in your field who will overhaul your resume by focusing on formatting, keywords, and writing style. Collaborate with your writer for as many rounds of edits as you need.
- Approve a final draft and receive confirmation that your new resume document is ATS compatible.
An ATS has another important job: filtering out the resumes that don’t meet the pre-set requirements. On average, applicant tracking systems delete 75% of the resumes submitted.
Zipjob’s resume writing services are designed for companies hiring in the USA and Canada, which is where all of the writers are located.
2. LinkedIn ProFinder
- Pricing: $100 – $2,500+
- Turnaround: 3 to 14 days
- Writers: 100+
- Industries: All industries, including Finance, IT, Healthcare, and more.
LinkedIn ProFinder is a more direct approach to finding your own resume writer, with less fuss and more straight-forward results. ProFinder will ask you a few questions to determine what your needs are and within 24 hours email you a comprehensive list of resume service providers you can choose from.
ProFinder gives you the power to decide who you want to work with and what rate you want to pay. You may not get the bundled, comprehensive service as with some other providers, but you can speed up your process and research your writer before making a commitment.
Pros of using LinkedIn ProFinder
- Price — Because you are working with individual writers who are providing you a freelance service, the rates tend to be much lower than the big-name brands. You can also communicate with your writer before committing to your purchase, giving you room to ask questions and perhaps negotiate your price and/or additional services.
- Global — ProFinder uses the LinkedIn database, so you can find providers across the globe, within your target market, or in your own area.
- Faster Turnaround Time — Once you make your choice, most writers will have a first draft to you within a few business days. If you are in a time crunch, this can make a big difference to make sure you don’t miss out on current job opportunities.
Working with LinkedIn ProFinder
- Answer 3 to 4 questions about your professional level, years of experience, target region, and salary expectations.
- Wait up to 24 hours to receive your customized list of writers to choose from.
- Review the list and begin selecting potential writers by reaching out to them individually, setting up consultations, and asking for quotes.
LinkedIn ProFinder offers other services as well, including interview coaches, professional headshot photographers, LinkedIn profile writers, and career coaches.
3. Find My Profession
- Pricing: $795 – $1,095
- Turnaround: 3 to 5 business days
- Writers: 13+
- Industries: All industries, including professional, academic, and federal.
Find My Profession is a more scaled-down executive resume service with a quick turn-around time for the first draft, simplified bundled services, and a more affordable price range. They only hire skilled resume writers with specialties in over 85 professions.
Pros of using Find My Profession
- Conversation-first approach — Find My Profession services begin with a 15 to 30-minute phone consultation with your writer to ensure they understand what your goals are and what your resume needs to accomplish.
- ATS Compliant Formats — You will receive your final drafts in both Microsoft DOC and Adobe PDF and will be fully editable for future changes/tailoring.
- Quick delivery time — Find My Profession will deliver your first draft within 3-5 business days, or you can purchase a rush delivery of 48-hours.
- 60-Day Guarantee — If you do not receive more interview requests after 60 days of using your new resume, Find My Profession will review your resume and make revisions for free.
Working with Find My Profession
- Place your order online and send your resume in for review.
- Schedule your phone consultation with your executive resume writer to discuss your aspirations and supplemental document needs.
- After you receive your first draft, you will have 7 days to ask questions and make any needed revisions.
4. Chameleon Resumes
- Pricing: $2,897 – $6,897
- Turnaround: 2 to 3 weeks
- Writers: 3
- Industries: All industries including Sales, Human Resources, and others.
Chameleon Resumes was founded by Lisa Rangel, an established recruiter and executive coach with 13+ years of executive-level experience. Lisa and her professional team will consult with you directly on your specialized needs and deliver both bundled and a la carte services, including salary negotiation tools, online tutorials, and manuals.
Chameleon has been recognized by Forbes and LinkedIn as a credentialed executive resume writing service.
Pros of using Chameleon
- Variety — Chameleon provides you with a large variety of options, including a DIY resource package that is affordable and easy to use.
- Long-term service — Chameleon’s top package includes a 12-month long advisory service, providing a career expert who will stick with you throughout your job search and critical negotiations.
- Training — Chameleon provides a large breadth of manuals and online guides that target the many challenges an executive will face during their career advancement.
- Notoriety — Chameleon has many executive-level glowing reviews to date.
How it works
- Select a package and/or a la carte products you need. Provide your payment information and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Schedule a call with either Lisa or one of her associates.
- Consult on your individualized goals and document needs.
- Agree on a strategic plan and timeline for service delivery.
5. Career Steering Executive Resume Services
- Pricing: $1,595 – $4,000+
- Turnaround: 2 to 4 weeks from start to finish
- Writers: 1, Rosa Elizabeth Vargas + support staff
- Industries: All industries including Operations, Technology, and Finance.
Career Steering Premium Executive Resume Writing Services boasts an award-winning and highly decorated resume writer, Rosa Elizabeth Vargas, who has attained multiple certifications including MRW, CERW, CMRW, ACRW, and CCMC. She specializes in boutique resume services plus interview/career coaching, boasting a network full of HR executives and Fortune 500 leaders across the globe.
Pros of using Career Steering Premium Executive Resume Writing Services
- Personalized Service — Promises one-on-one 60-minute consultation by phone, Zoom, or Skype and a resume experience that is customized to your specific requirements and goals.
- Bundled Packages — Pick from a number of package options that include a LinkedIn overhaul, multiple resume versions and custom cover letters, interview coaching, resume distribution services, personal website design, and overall branding services.
Working with Career Steering Premium Executive Resume Writing Services
- Fill out an online assessment or schedule a phone call to discuss your needs and goals in detail.
- Schedule your 60-minute consultation with Rosa Elizabeth herself, who will work with you to develop a strategic plan and timeline.
- Collaborate during the revision process while designing a branding technique and networking methods.
This provider boasts results, but you will need to schedule your purchase way ahead of your targeted job search, as the waitlist can be up to 4 weeks long. You can also purchase a la carte options if you do not want a bundled experience. A single executive resume will cost you about $1,500.
6. Mary Elizabeth Bradford, Executive Resume Writer
- Pricing: $2,600 – $11,000
- Turnaround: 14 to 30 days
- Writers: 1, with a team to expedite services
- Industries: All industries with a focus on fast-growing industries, startups, financial services, small business, non-profits, and healthcare
This service is VERY comprehensive, and casts a wide net of services and products that are specific to an executive and the opportunities they have to brand/market themselves. The Mary Elizabeth Bradford, CERM, CMRW, CARW, MCD, NCOPE Top Executive Resume Writer / C-Level Executive Resume Writer is one-on-one and includes multiple phone calls, emails, and follow-up communications to guarantee all your questions are answered and needs are met.
Pros of using Mary Elizabeth Bradford, Executive Resume Writer
- Highly interpersonal — If you are looking for a partner in your career growth journey, this offers very personalized services that are customized for you. Many of the packages include a promise of continued collaboration after your project is finalized so you can continue to seek guidance and advice.
- Lots of options — This company offers many options beyond the resume itself. Packages can include career and interview coaching, LinkedIn updates, BOD-specific documents, recruiter & hiring manager networking tools, Value Proposition Letters, website design, an Executive Biography, and online education programs.
Working with Mary Elizabeth Bradford
- Visit the website and select your package of choice, ranging from the VIP Platinum for $10,997 to the Executive Resume Package for $2,597. Payment plans are available.
- You can schedule a phone call consultation if you like, but the availability is limited. At the time of our research, the next available phone consultation was 2 and ½ weeks out.
- You will want to set aside a block of time to go through the website and decide which service(s) you want to purchase. In addition to the service offerings, there are many free articles available providing tips and education related to an executive’s job search and career guide.
Her website lists many of the certifications and accolades she has earned during her 12+ years of experience in this role. This service is the most personalized, and most expensive, executive resume provider we researched. If money and time are not an issue for you, this could be a good fit. However, most services are significantly less expensive with a faster delivery.
- Pricing: $349
- Turnaround: 7 to 14 days
- Writers: 1,500+
- Industries: All industries including Military transition, Academic, and Federal resumes.
This list would not be complete without TopResume. TopResume is a large company with a significant market presence. Their brand is mostly associated with entry-mid level resume services, but their Executive Priority Package is customized for the senior professional, with a promise of an executive-level writer from the top 10% of their large network.
Its website includes some awesome statistics, such as that a professional resume can make you 38% more likely to be contacted by recruiters (so figure out how to reply to recruiters), 31% more likely to land an interview, and 40% more likely to land a job.
Pros for TopResume
- Large, well-established company — TopResume was founded in 2014 along with their parent company, Talent Inc. It has a network of 1,500+ resume writers across the country as well as a wide global network.
- History of success — TopResume has helped over 400,000 professionals “land more interviews and get hired faster.”
- Positive reviews — Given how big it is, TopResume has had the opportunity to help lots of people. They have over 4,000 five-star reviews on Trustpilot.
Working with TopResume
- Upload your resume and get assigned an expert writer.
- Work one-on-one via the online dashboard to craft your career story.
- Receive a resume tailored to your goals.
The communication happens completely online through their website, unless you add on a phone call for an additional fee. If you need to contact the company, you can email them at email@example.com or call 800-604-1929 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET on weekdays. They also have a live chat option from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
8. Resume Pilots
- Pricing: $399 – $695
- Turnaround: 1 to 5 days
- Writers: 10+
- Industries: Finance, Pharmaceuticals, Startups and Fortune 500 Companies
Resume Pilots’ niche offering is that all their writers are ivy-league educated experts. The company founder, Matt Glodz, is a graduate of Cornell University and specializes in business communications.
Pros of Resume Pilots
- Ivy League Writers — You can rest assured that your writers understand the nuances of grammar, spelling, and sentence composition while bringing a unique blend of strong vocabularies and industry training to the table.
- Fast Delivery — The delivery times are between 1 and 5 days, and the revision period is limited to 2 rounds and 1 phone call (if needed). You will have a final resume in hand within 1 to 2 weeks and hitting the job market with confidence.
- Personalized Service — Your telephone consultation can be tailored to include interview coaching and/or career growth advice.
Working with Resume Pilots
- Fill out a questionnaire about your career inventory and future aspirations.
- Complete the telephone consultation.
- Review your first draft and provide feedback to achieve a final draft you are confident in.
9. Capstone Resume Services
- Pricing: $299+
- Turnaround: 2 to 3 days
- Writers: 5+
- Industries: All industries, including Professional, Academic, and Federal.
Capstone Resumes offer a variety of specialized resume services, such as Federal and Executive Level resumes. The company was started by Amy Giles, who has been writing resumes since 2003. Capstone Resumes was formerly called Giles Career Services, but now specializes in the resume writing portion of the business.
Pros of using Capstone Resumes
- Conversation-First Approach — Capstone Resume services begin with a 15 to 30-minute phone call, instead of the written questionnaire approach most companies use.
- Certified Writers — The resume writers are introduced with a photo and a certification on the Capstone website. Each member is a Certified Professional Resume Writer with a unique background.
- Specializations — Certain resumes, like Executive and Federal, require specialized formats. Capstone Resumes has different payment options for their resume services, as opposed to the more common tiered pricing approach. With the team’s combined background in HR, recruitment, and military, it is likely these formats are effective for those seeking more industry-specific documents.
- Quick Delivery Time — Many positive reviewers mention how they received their resumes with 1 to 3 days of their initial phone consultation.
- Easy To Contact — Amy, the owner of Capstone Resumes, makes her direct email very easy to find. She appears to be quite responsive and open to revisions to ensure client satisfaction.
Working with Capstone
- Schedule a phone consultation–you can upload your resume at the same time.
- Purchase the services you need, selecting your resume format as well as any additional cover letter or LinkedIn services.
- Work with your writer to finalize your resume.
How to spot a resume writing scam
If you skimmed the rest of the article, and just wanted to reach this part, here’s all you need to know about WHY some of these resume writing service websites are scams, and how to spot the signals for yourself.
Some of the websites ranking and/or advertising near the top of Google search results aren’t what they seem to be.
Since it’s relatively easy to set up a website and position yourself as a professional, resume writing scams are rampant. We want to help you identify these junk resume companies, so here are our top three tips for spotting a resume writing scam:
1. Look for a physical address
Many scam sites are based overseas but targeting clients in the USA. These sites might set up a virtual address to appear to be based in the US–click here to learn how to spot a virtual address for a fraudulent company.
2. Look out for affiliate marketing posing as impartial recommendations
As we alluded to in the beginning of this post, many “best resume services” lists are affiliate marketing. While this doesn’t mean the services are scams, it does mean that the people writing the lists have a financial interest in you purchasing services through their links.
3. Look for credibility
Before you pay someone, run a quick search for reviews. Look for established sites like Better Business Bureau, Angie’s List, or Consumer Reports. Look at user reviews on Trustpilot, SiteJabber, Reddit, and Quora, but be on alert for 5 star reviews that all say the same thing or aren’t from a verified order.
You’ll also want to ignore offers that promise to get you your dream job, guarantee ridiculously fast turnaround times, or send you a resume draft without communicating with you about your goals and experience. Professional resume writers can improve your resume’s content and design, but should never present you as someone else.
Be realistic with your expectations!
Hiring the Best Professional Resume Writing Services
Writing a resume is hard. Job searching is stressful. The industry analysts say the average job search lasts 40 weeks—that’s nearly 10 months.
Why is it so hard to find a job? Lots of reasons. But there are a lot of great resources out there and some not-so-great ones.
Getting a professionally-written resume should never add to your stress, so we hope this list helps you choose the best option for your career goals.
You’ll notice that many companies on this list offer a free resume review or a resume consultation. Some can even help you answer questions like “what’s the right way to list hobbies and interests on a resume?”
This is a great option for getting a variety of opinions on your existing resume.
However, watch out for impersonal or general advice that doesn’t seem to relate to your resume submission. Some services are automated, despite what their misleading advertising may claim.
Do your homework and keep the faith. Everyone finds a job sooner or later. It takes patience, persistence, and preparation.
We hope this article helped you improve your job search, or better yet—end it! But if you still need help, please get in touch! This is what we do for a living, and we’d love to help you too.
Don’t take our word for it
It’s easy for us to write a blog post and claim we’re the best. But if we did only that, we’d be no better than the scams we covered earlier in this post.
To back up our claims, we’ve included some customer reviews to show how much our clients love us.
There’s a reason our resources rank among the top search results for:
- Best IT Resume Service
- Best Finance Resume Service
- Best Healthcare Resume Service
- …and even…
- Best Federal Resume Service
These 600+ ZipJob reviews are compiled and stored by TrustPilot, a neutral third party—not by us. Please feel free to leave your own review there if you’re happy with our work!
We know you will be. Because we know what we’re doing and our customers do, too. If you like what you see, give us a try👇
There are many executive-level professional resume writing services to choose from, such as the 9 on this list. Since there is no shortage of fraudulent services out there, do your due diligence before giving your private information to a less than reputable company.
The best resume writing services have good examples, positive reviews, and responsive customer service teams. A variety of ways to contact the company is a good indicator of a legitimate business, but we advise you to try out one or two methods of contact before making your selection. Steer clear of disconnected phone numbers and unanswered emails!
Remember that resume writing services are mainly digital today, so you don’t need to limit your search to local options. When in doubt, however, keep in mind that if an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Good luck with your job search!