Every month, there are about 5,000 searches for phrases like “best resume writing services.”
There are more than 200,000,000 results for that search, including tons of scammy, junk resume writing services and affiliate marketing lists. Hundreds of job seekers fall victim to junk resume writing services, and they have no idea they’re being scammed.
We want to help.
Our team of career experts (including professional resume writers, former Fortune 500 recruiters, and HR specialists) researched more than 200 resume writing services in the US and Canada. This post discusses our top 10 picks, as well as an overview of each resume service.
At the end of this post, we have some valuable advice about how to tell if other services are legitimate.
The 10 best resume writing services in 2021
- LinkedIn Profinder
- The Muse
- Capstone Resumes
This list does not include any affiliate links or paid placements (like the majority of articles out there). You’ll find more information about affiliate marketing and profit-driven lists after our resume writing service reviews.
- How to find legitimate service reviews
How much should a resume writing service cost?
We found that the average cost of a quality resume is around $136. This number doesn’t reflect add-on offers like LinkedIn profiles, career advice, or cover letter services.
Average cost of a resume by the top resume writing services.
Related read: How Much Should a Resume Writing Service Cost in 2021?
Best resume writing services
Land 2x more interviews with Zipjob
- Pricing: $139 – $299
- Turnaround: 3 to 7 days
- Writers: 100+ US-based writers with backgrounds in HR, Recruiting, Career Coaching, Job Placement, and Professional Writing.
- Industries: All industries including Business, Finance, IT, Healthcare, Sales, Marketing, and more.
You didn’t think we were going to put a different service here, did you? Yes, our team may be biased…but we also live and breathe resume writing, so we know why our service is top-notch.
Zipjob uses a tech-informed, expert-designed protocol to create resumes that appeal to hiring managers and Applicant Tracking Systems: the same technology used by more than 90% employers to screen and parse resumes.
Zipjob’s resume writing services are designed for companies hiring in the USA and Canada, which is where all of the writers are located. Most companies use applicant tracking systems to manage and sort through job applicants. A single job post averages 250 applicants, so the ATS helps employers keep track of those applications.
However, the ATS has another important job: filtering out the resumes that don’t meet the pre-set requirements. On average, applicant tracking systems filter out 75% of the resumes submitted. Here are the most common reasons applicants get rejected automatically:
- Improper resume formatting
- Incorrect use of keywords
So if the ATS can mistakenly reject otherwise qualified candidates, what does that mean for you? That’s exactly what ZipJob is here to help with.
Resume writers experienced in resume keyword optimization add an extra step at the end of the process to ensure your new resume will be parsed correctly by an ATS scan.
Pros of using Zipjob
- Professional writers — Zipjob only hires US-based professional resume writers with experience and ATS training.
- ATS technology — Zipjob uses the same ATS technology employers use to help ensure every resume gets through to a hiring manager.
- Direct communication — One of the few services that allow you direct, unlimited access to your personal resume writer until your resume is complete.
- Collaboration — You can count on Zipjob’s writers to work with you to create the perfect resume for your unique experience and career goals. Zipjob provides you with revisions, advice, and explanations.
- Reputation — Zipjob’s reputation speaks for itself. Zipjob has been featured in Forbes, Reader’s Digest, Marketwatch, Glassdoor, The Muse and other big-name media outlets. In addition, Zipjob has earned more than 600 five-star reviews and served 10,000+ happy clients since 2016.
- Free future update — With Zipjob’s premium resume package, you’re eligible for a free resume update. This offer never expires!
- Unlimited revisions — While other resume services limit the number of revisions they’ll make, Zipjob offers an unlimited number of revisions. Your personal resume writer will revise your resume as many times as you need while your project is open.
A Zipjob review
I spent a lot of time researching resume writing services. That was quite a feat and stressful with everything out there. I finally decided on Zipjob…After several revisions we hit on a resume that appears to be working. Prior to my latest revision I had sent out close to hundred resumes and had one interview. I’ve put out about another 40, and I’ve had movement in making it past the ATS system to pretesting with 2 jobs and an initial interview with another job. Considering this is the holidays and we’re in a pandemic I’m heartened by the response. Thank you Zipjob and Julie!Floyd, verified Zipjob customer
Note: this review was edited slightly for length and clarity. Emphasis added.
How Zipjob works
- Upload your resume and answer a few questions. These questions will help us match you with an experienced resume writer. If you don’t have a current resume, these questions will help your resume writer get started on your new resume.
- Get matched with a resume expert in your field who will overhaul your resume. Each project focuses on ATS-friendly formatting, keyword optimization, and writing style.
- Collaborate with your writer until you’re satisfied with your resume. This usually takes a week or two to get right, but Zipjob’s resume writers will work with you until you are satisfied.
- Approve a final draft. This will trigger the last step in Zipjob’s resume writing process: the ATS resume test. Your new resume will go through our in-house system to ensure that your resume will pass through screening algorithms used by more than 90% of employers.
- Start using your new resume and watch your interview requests double!
- Pricing: $179 – $349
- Turnaround: 7 to 14 days
- Writers: 1,500+ professional writers including certified career coaches, recruiters, and experienced hiring professionals.
- Industries: All industries including Military transition, Academic, and Federal resumes.
This list would not be complete without TopResume. TopResume is technically one of our direct competitors, but any list of the best resume writing services would be incomplete (and misleading) if we omitted them. Their writers do great work–as evidenced by their Trustpilot reviews–and the company does belong on this list.
TopResume’s website includes many compelling statistics about working with a professional resume writer. Did you know that a professionally-written resume makes you:
- 38% more likely to be contacted by recruiters
- 31% more likely to land an interview
- 40% more likely to land a job
If that’s not reason alone to work with a professional resume writer, we don’t know what is!
Pros for TopResume
- Large, well-established company — TopResume was founded in 2014 by Jeff Berger and has a network of 1,500+ resume writers across the country as well as an international network through their sister brand, TopCV, specializing in professional CV rewrites.
- History of success — According to its website, TopResume has helped 600,000+ professionals “land more interviews and get hired faster.” You can check out some of their success stories here.
- Positive reviews — Given how big it is, TopResume has had the opportunity to help thousands of people. It has more than 7,000 five star reviews on Trustpilot.
Fantastic service that gave 100% to get my resume in a professionally formatted, scan friendly format / content – saw great increase in activity from headhunters and recruiters post TopResume’s assistance. My professional writer was intelligent, understood my personal situation and desired objectives – and delivered the goods!Joseph, TopResume customer
Working with TopResume
- TopResume takes the time to learn about you via an introductory questionnaire to get a sense of your past experience and current goals.
- Upload your resume and get matched with an expert writer who fits your needs and objectives.
- Collaborate one-on-one with your writer via TopResume’s dashboard to revise your resume and craft your career story.
- Receive a modern resume tailored to your goals.
- TopResume guarantees that you’ll receive two times more job interviews or they’ll rewrite your resume again one time, free-of-charge.
You can learn more about the TopResume process and what to expect here. There is also the option to add on a phone call for an additional fee. If you need to contact the company, you can email them at email@example.com or call 800-604-1929 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET on weekdays. They also have a live chat option from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
- Pricing: $100 – $700+
- Turnaround: 3 to 14 days
- Writers: 100+
- Industries: All industries including Finance, IT, Healthcare, Marketing and more.
Most people use LinkedIn to search for jobs and career-related information. However, many are unaware that it offers a “service marketplace” called LinkedIn (formerly LinkedIn ProFinder) for interviewing, career coaching, and resume writing.
Technically, yes, this is a platform and not a resume writing service. However, we are rating this option highly because LinkedIn takes steps to ensure its pros are legit. For example, each professional submits an online application that must be approved by LinkedIn, and past client reviews are readily available for anyone considering a certain resume writer.
Pros of using LinkedIn
- Time efficient — Receive proposals quickly from your potential resume writer.
- Person to person — Pick from a number of resume critique and expert review professionals whom you want to work with, based on their LinkedIn profiles and other information they provide.
- Cost effective — Since these are freelancers, the prices may be more competitive than a company. Still expect to pay $100+ for a quality resume, but know that your money is going directly to your writer.
- Local options — You can opt for local-only professionals, making this a great option if you feel strongly about meeting with your resume writer in person.
Speaking of LinkedIn, do you know how to include your LinkedIn URL on a resume? Most employers will look you up on LinkedIn before interviewing you anyway, so it’s common to include a link to your profile in your resume’s contact section.
A LinkedIn Resume Writer Review
I had such an amazing experience working with Charisse. This was my first time ever seeking Resume/Career Services—and she exceeded my expectations abundantly! Charisse has a kind spirit and is very knowledgeable about career mobility, industry trends, and how to brand yourself professionally & personally to get the desired career/job you want. I can’t thank her enough for helping me transfer my skills and value into a polished document that allowed me to get a recent promotion. I’ll definitely be working with her again soon!Christopher, client of Charisse Green
Working with LinkedIn
- Answer a couple of questions about the services you’re looking for.
- Within 24 hours (and likely much sooner), get up to 5 proposals from professionals on LinkedIn’s list. Each proposal will include a price quote.
- Research and select your resume writer. Every writer will have a different system to process from there.
LinkedIn helps you find freelance resume writers, but doesn’t have a company-wide standard for resume writing. Instead, you should look into multiple freelancers based on their proposals and pick the resume style you like best as not all freelancers are created equal.
If you need any help, LinkedIn offers a concierge team, which is essentially tech support and customer service for hiring a pro. You can use live chat or a contact form to reach out.
4. The Muse
- Pricing: $119 – $1,699
- Turnaround: 4 to 7 days
- Writers: 80+
- Industries: All industries including HR/recruiting, fitness/health, and fashion.
The Muse offers a different model to provide resume help. Instead of a text-based collaboration, The Muse has a resume review coaching service that includes a resume update. Depending on the coaching service you purchase, you get 30, 45, or 60 minutes for a video call or phone call with your career coach.
Pros of using The Muse
- Highly interpersonal — If you are looking for a conversation about your resume, this coaching service is a great option.
- Lots of options — The Muse has a wide network of experts in a range of fields. Mentors, coaches, and master coaches are vetted and backed by The Muse.
A Review of The Muse
Melody was super helpful. We developed a narrative that better described my experience and also aphorisms that I could then use as part of my personal brand and in the interview process. Working with Melody gave me the clarity and confidence to move forward. I got two job offers within days of putting myself out there!Cynthia, client of Write In Color
Working with The Muse:
- Choose a service such as “Resume Review” coaching, “Resume and LinkedIn Review” coaching, or the “Ultimate Job Search” Kit.
- Book a coach, based on filters like your industry and years of experience.
- Schedule your coaching call. Your coach will contact you within one business day of your booking.
After your coaching session, you will get an updated version of your resume that is designed to be “eye-catching” and “ATS-beating.” Depending on your service, you may get one, two, or unlimited rounds of edits within a two week time period.
This is a highly personalized service, so you need to do your research before picking a coach. If you have any problems with your service, you can contact the company at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pricing: $179.95 – $499.95
- Turnaround: 4 to 5 days
- Writers: 5+
- Industries: All, including Federal, Executive, and Entry-Level
CareerPerfect is an online resume writing service with additional cover letter, interview, job search, and career planning services. It offers resume writing services in four categories: student and entry-level, professional and mid-career, executive, and federal and military. Since CareerPerfect’s start over 30 years ago, it has helped plenty of job seekers with both advice and career services.
Pros of CareerPerfect
- Global presence — Specializing in US employers, CareerPerfect has a global reach and partners with several high-profile career websites internationally.
- Online career services pioneer — CareerPerfect started offering career services online in 1996 and has been leading online career services ever since.
- Editing service — In addition to CareerPerfect’s resume writing help, you can also opt for a resume editing service from a professional.
A Review of CareerPerfect
I was hesitant at first because of the price tag, however I was blown away with the results. I had the honor to work with Melissa on my resume. My resume was about as perfect as one could expect. It summarized my experience to absolute perfection and was presented exactly the way I had hoped. I couldn’t have done it better myself. I highly recommend this service and want to send my personal regards and “Thank you” to Melissa for her outstanding job.J. Mark
Working with CareerPerfect
- Place your order using several payment options including PayPal and most major credit cards.
- Provide information by uploading your previously prepared materials or CareerPerfect’s SkillNet tool to identify additional accomplishments and strengths.
- Develop your document with the help of a professional resume writer.
- Have a keyword-rich personal marketing document in 4 to 5 business days.
CareerPerfect advertises that its team is made up of only US-based writers with four-year college degrees, and collectively have expertise in over 90 industries. The company is a member of the Career Management Alliance as well as the National Employment Counseling Association.
For resume writing inquiries, you can call 1-877-844-5724 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET. You can also email the support team or your resume writer from within your account after logging in.
- Pricing: $129 – $349
- Turnaround: 2 to 5 days
- Writers: 50+
- Industries: All industries including Finance, IT, Healthcare, Marketing and more.
Although Monster is primarily a job board, it also offers resume writing services. Like many of these resume companies, there are tiers of services with additional add-ons for cover letters and LinkedIn profiles.
Monster stands out as a recruiter-focused resume writing service. Based on their decades of job searches and working with recruiters to source talent, their resumes are easy for recruiters to filter and scan.
Pros of using Monster
- Established — Monster has been around for 20+ years and has earned a positive name recognition.
- 60-day guarantee — If you aren’t completely satisfied with your resume or other products, you can get it rewritten for free.
- Additional services — Monster has a job board so you can take your new resume and upload it quickly to apply for jobs.
- International reach — Monster provides services for the US and Canada as well as the UK, France, Germany, and The Netherlands
A Review of Monster
I had the pleasure of using Monster to update my resume and cover letter. They asked relevant questions, formulated a concise and thoughtful resume and cover letter that played to my strengths and goals. The thing most worth noting was that I felt like a person in my industry wrote my resume – as she was able to extrapolate all the necessary verbiage as it specifically related to my experience and field. It was a very positive experience – one that landed me my first interview within my field that will take me in the direction that I was hoping to pivot into.Joann, verified Monster customer
How it works
- Upload your resume and answer additional questions via a brief questionnaire.
- Get a resume draft with additional keyword opportunities.
- Provide feedback for up to one revision.
Monster resume writing services have limited revisions: only one draft and one revision. The modes of communication with your writer is also limited to text-based messages through email. They don’t offer phone services.
If you’re having trouble communicating with your writer, you can email email@example.com or call Monster at (978) 461-8000. Its website also has a live chat function that can connect you with a real person within a few minutes.
7. Capstone Resume Services
- Pricing: $149 – $299
- Turnaround: 5 to 7 days
- Writers: 5+
- Industries: All industries, including professional, academic, and federal.
Capstone Resumes offer a variety of specialized resume services, such as Federal and Executive Level resumes. The company was started by Amy Giles, who has been writing resumes since 2003. Capstone Resumes was formerly called Gies Career Services, but now specializes in the resume writing portion of the business.
Pros of using Capstone Resumes
- Conversation-first approach — Capstone Resume services begin with a 15 to 30 minute phone call, instead of the questionnaire approach most companies use.
- Certified writers — The resume writers are introduced with a photo and a certification on the Capstone website. Each member is a Certified Professional Resume Writer with a different background.
- Specializations — Certain resumes, like Executive and Federal, require specialized formats. Capstone Resumes has different payment options for their resume services, as opposed to the more common tiered approach. With the team’s background in HR, recruitment, and the U.S. Navy, it is likely these formats are effective.
- Quick delivery time — Many positive reviewers mention how they received their resumes with 1 to 3 days of their initial phone consultation.
- Easy to contact — Amy, the owner of Capstone Resumes, makes her direct email very easy to find. She appears to be quite responsive and open to revisions to ensure client satisfaction.
A Capstone Resume Services Review
I had the distinct pleasure to work with two specialists at Capstone Resume Services. At first, I was pursuing opportunities in the private sector. Andrew helped me craft a resume for this, and took time to get to know my work experience, my goals and how to leverage that for a successful resume. Shortly after, an opening in a government agency caused me to switch tracks to a USAJobs resume, and Amy helped me write a great resume. She took the time to discuss best practices, understand my goals and truly get to know what my work experience meant. I ended up getting this (dream) federal position, and I attribute this success to the support I got from Capstone Resume Services.Daniel
Note: this review was edited for length
Working with Capstone
- Schedule a phone consultation–you can upload your resume at the same time.
- Purchase the services you need, selecting your resume format as well as any additional cover letter or LinkedIn services.
- Work with your writer to finalize your resume.
- Pricing: $395
- Turnaround: 5 to 7 days
- Writers: 5+
- Industries: Finance
iHireFinance is a niche job board that focuses on open, vetted opportunities in the financial sector. The resume services they offer integrate well with their job board service.
Because it was built for finance professionals specifically, iHireFinance is a great option for budget analysts, equity traders, tax managers, and all finance specialists. The writers are educated, certified, and trained in modern resume writing especially for finance.
In addition to their resume writing service, iHireFinance has a separate cover letter service. If you only need help with a cover letter instead of a resume/cover letter bundle, this is a good option.
Pros of using iHireFinance
- Made for the finance industry — iHireFinance is hyper-focused on people and companies in the financial services industry.
- Optional membership — With a membership, you get a discount on the writing services as well as access to a handy iScore Resume Match tool to use on the job board.
- Formatting service — In addition to iHireFinance’s resume writing services, you can also opt for just a resume formatting service to improve the design of your existing resume. This is priced at $99.
An iHire Review
I had worked for the same company for 35 years and never really had a resume. Val and Sidney were great at writing and preparing a much better resume than I could put together on my own. I have applied for many jobs with that resume and have had employers reach out to me when looking at my resume. A great experience all around.James, verified customer
Working with iHireFinance
- Create an account. Select a service from entry-level, professional, or executive resume services.
- Complete a questionnaire and upload your current resume.
- Finalize your resume–your first draft should arrive within 5 to 7 business days–and work with your writer until you are 100% satisfied.
For resume writing inquiries, you can call (877) 840-6217 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. ET. You can also email the support team through a contact form on the website.
- Pricing: $99 – $299
- Turnaround: 5 to 7 days
- Writers: 5+
- Industries: All industries, including professional, academic, and federal.
LiveCareer started as a career test site in 2004 and eventually launched a resume builder and a professional resume writing service. It is one of the largest resume builders around, with over 10 million resumes created for people in 180 countries.
In addition to their resume writing service, LiveCareer has a separate cover letter writing option. If you only need help with a cover letter instead of a resume/cover letter bundle, this is a good option.
Pros of using LiveCareer
- Established — LiveCareer has been around longer than most resume services, and features a large network of writers and career experts.
- Global — LiveCareer is headquartered in New York City, and has offices in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. While its employee information on LinkedIn states that most of their workers are located in India, the resume writers seem to be located mostly in the US.
- Large resume database — LiveCareer has 700,000 resumes from various locations, industries, and roles that you can filter and search.
- More than just resumes — This career service company also has a mobile app, job apply tool, job board, and salary calculator.
A LiveCareer Review
Beth was extremely conscious of how quickly I needed my resume completed for an upcoming interview. She was fantastic and very easy to work with. I felt she captured my job history very professionally and easy to get the gist of my career. I would work with Beth anytime. Thank you Beth for taking my resume to the next level. Be safe.KIM, verified customer
Working with LiveCareer
- Choose from three resume services based on your career stage.
- Answer a few additional questions about your background (how long does an employment background check take?)
- One-on-one optional consultation with your writer, ranging from 10 to 20 minutes based on the package you purchased. Receive your completed resume within 3 business days.
LiveCareer offers many services in addition to the resume writing services. It’s one of the most popular choices for resume building.
If you need to contact the company about your resume services, you can reach customer service by phone at (844) 485-4050 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m CT. There is also a live chat service if you have an account login, or you can email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Pricing: $50 – $500+
- Turnaround: 5 to 7 days
- Writers: 100+
- Industries: All industries, including very niche industries
Thumbtack is another way to find individuals providing resume services. Think of it as an online bulletin board. You can use the site to search for resume writers and filter based on travel preferences, target industry, and additional service needs. Thumbtack is not involved in the payment process, so you will have to work with your writer to discuss your options.
Thumbtack charges its pros to send a quote to potential clients, so do your research before contacting a resume writer. The company makes it easy for vendors to be upfront about pricing, expertise, qualifications, and even Q&As about why they’re in the business. Keep an eye out for badges such as “Top Pro,” “In High Demand,” and “Great Value” to help guide your choice.
Pros of using Thumbtack
- Flexibility — Some resume writers offer unusual services such as resume distribution, life coaching, and supporting clients until they land a great job.
- Diverse backgrounds — Resume writers on Thumbtack come from a variety of professional backgrounds so you can find exactly what you need for your new resume.
- Pricing — The pricing ranges from $50 to $500. A basic resume writing service is more cost-effective here than with the majority of companies.
- Built-in verified reviews — Thumbtack includes verified reviews directly on the pro’s service page. Only people who have interacted with the pro can leave a review, which adds in a level of trust that Fiverr lacks. The pro can respond to the review, but cannot delete it.
A Thumbtack Review
Working with Joseph was awesome! Initially, I was debating on 3-4 resume service providers on Thumbtack but ultimately decided to go with Writing By Professionals after my initial consultation with Joseph. He really understood what I was looking for, what I needed in my new resume, and what he could do to best help me achieve my goals. Ultimately, my resume was NOT a cookie-cutter, generic type resume that many services provide. Rather, it was a customized and personalized resume that best suited me and my job search. I can’t thank Joseph enough and will certainly use his services in the future.George, verified Writing By Professionals customer
Working with Thumbtack
- Search resume writers and filter, research, and select your writer.
- Follow their system to get your resume.
If your pro fails to provide the agreed upon service, Thumbtack can help if you contact them within 45 days. You can contact them through their site if you have an account. The Thumbtack website recommends you get everything in writing including the scope of service and the agreed upon price.
3 red flags for resume writing services
If you skimmed the rest of the article to reach this part, here’s all you need to know about WHY some of these resume writing service websites are scams, and how to spot the red flags for yourself.
Some of the websites ranking and/or advertising near the top of Google search results aren’t what they seem to be.
Since it’s relatively easy to set up a website and make up reviews, resume writing scams are rampant. We want to help you identify these junk resume companies, so here are our top three tips for spotting a resume writing scam:
1. No physical address
Many scam sites are based overseas but targeting clients in the USA. Check out a company’s homepage or search online to make sure there is a real address. If there isn’t?
They’re run in other countries, while claiming to be US-based and/or US-experts. Nothing against our international neighbors, but they don’t live and work here. Location matters.
In some cases, they go out of their way to repeat on their website—over and over again—that “We’re a US-based business!” when they’re really not. These sites might even set up a virtual address to appear to be based in the US. Learn how to spot a virtual address for a fraudulent company.
It should be noted here that not every business with a virtual address is guaranteed to be a scam. But it just means that you have to do your homework.
2. Recommended by affiliate marketing posing as impartial recommendations
As we alluded to in the beginning of this post, many “best resume writing services” lists are affiliate marketing. While this doesn’t mean the services are scams, it does mean that the people writing the lists have a financial interest in you purchasing services through their links.
Sites that claim to be impartial and unbiased are, in fact, affiliated with the services they recommend. ShareASale.com and lots of similar affiliate programs out there work on the premise of commissions: you send me a paying customer and I’ll pay you a cut of the sale.
So if you want to earn some of those commission payments, it’s in your best interest to send as many paying customers as possible to the ShareASale partner. You can spot these types of affiliate links if you hover your mouse over a link without clicking:
Why it matters
It means that the author of these money-for-traffic sites wants to send you to the website that pays them the most, not necessarily the one that will give YOU the best service.
Again, a quick disclaimer: affiliate sales have been around a long time, and they’re not necessarily shady by definition. After all, it doesn’t cost the user anything.
But, legally, there’s supposed to be some transparency in these affiliate setups. You need to know if you can trust the recommendation. And undisclosed sales commissions could erode that trust.
You can try out that trick on any of the links on this post. We’re linking to sites that we researched, ranked, and really feel confident about including on this list. Nobody paid us to be on this list.
3. Lack of third-party credibility
Before you give a resume writer your money, run a quick search for reviews. Look for established sites like Better Business Bureau, Angie’s List, or Consumer Reports. Look at user reviews on Trustpilot, SiteJabber, Reddit, and Quora, but be on alert for 5 star reviews that all say the same thing or aren’t from a verified order.
You’ll also want to ignore offers that promise to get you your dream job, guarantee ridiculously fast turnaround times, or send you a resume draft without communicating with you about your goals and experience.
Professional resume writers can improve your resume’s content and design, but should never present you as someone else. Be realistic with your expectations!
On that note, look for several examples of resumes that company or writer has created. Some services will even show before and after resume examples to give you a better idea of how the service works.
If the examples don’t match up with your expectations, contact the company about your concerns before you buy.
No proof of credibility?
The idea of ranking the best resume writing services is not a problem. This happens all the time. It’s why Consumer Reports and Angie’s List exist at all.
But those are trusted sources.
If Consumer Reports or Angie’s List published a list called Best Professional Resume Writing Services or Top-Rated Resume Writing Services of 2021, you’d believe them. They have earned credibility and authority.
They’re ethical, and they can’t be bought. You know there’s no conflict of interest or bias in their reviews. That is sadly not the case with some of these other websites claiming to be the authority.
Ranking themselves first wouldn’t be a big deal if they really were the best. In fairness, we did that too in this very article! The difference is that we’re being as up front as possible about our biases, reputation, and industry expertise.
Beware of smoke and mirrors
There are websites and “top resume sites” or “best resume writers” posts that appear genuine, meant to help users. But they’re just marketing.
These deceptions are hard to spot unless you know the industry, but they become pretty clear after some research.
We’re reminded of those “4 out of 5 dentists recommend” commercials. If you asked 5 dentists, you’d see a clear majority pointing toward the same recommendation.
But what if you only ask one dentist? Then how would you know? You need a few more points of comparison in order to draw the best conclusion. The same is true here.
When you find one of these “best of” articles (this one included!) take the rankings and reviews with a grain of salt, and do some follow up research.
- Google “best resume writing services,” open all of the organic results on the first page, and see what services are recommended most often.
- Take note if a service is ranked #1 on one list, but not included anywhere on any other list.
- Google each of those recommended services by name and see what comes up. If it looks scammy, it probably is.
How to find real reviews
The savvy online shopper knows to check reviews before buying. However, there are a few things you can look out for to ensure the reviews you’re finding are from real, verfied customers.
First, look for third-party credibility. As we mentioned above, scammy resume writing services often lack third-party reviews. If they offer reviews, they’re usually on the service’s website and nowhere else.
The reviews included on this page were all found on third-party sites such as Trustpilot, SiteJabber, Yelp, or for individual resume writers on the platforms. We noted whether the review was verified or not. Please note that this is not an option for all reviews, and doesn’t mean the review is necessarily fake.
Second, look for signs that the third-party review site has verified the claim. Trustpilot, for example, includes a checkmark next to reviews from verified customers. Recently, those checkmarks have also been labeled “invited,” which simply means the company invited the customer to leave a review after the service was completed. Either way, these reviews have been checked or confirmed to be from actual customers.
Finally, evaluate the reviews. Read several. Ideally, reference several review sites. Look for recency and look for repetition.
Keep in mind that many reviewers leave a review because they are either very happy with the service or very unhappy with the service; however, most people will fall somewhere in the middle.
How to hire the best professional resume writing services
Writing a resume is hard. Job searching is stressful. There are a lot of resources out there that can help you, but it’s also really easy to get overwhelmed.
Getting a professionally-written resume should never add to your stress, so we hope this list helps you choose the best option for your career goals.
You’ll notice that many companies on this list offer a free resume review or a resume consultation. This is a great option for getting a variety of opinions on your existing resume!
We hope this article helped you improve your job search, or better yet—end it! But if you still need help, please get in touch. This is what we do for a living, and we’d love to help you land your perfect job.
Don’t take our word for it
It’s easy for us to write a blog post and claim we’re the best option. So to back up our claims, we’ve included some customer reviews to show how much our clients love us.
There’s a reason our resources rank among the top search results for:
- Best IT Resume Service
- Best Finance Resume Service
- Best Healthcare Resume Service
- …and even…
- Best Federal Resume Service
These 700+ Zipjob reviews are compiled and stored by Trustpilot, a neutral third party—not by us. Please feel free to leave your own review there if you’re happy with our work!
You can also view Zipjob reviews in comparison to other resume writing services.
There are many professional resume writing services to choose from, such as the 10 on this list. Since there is no shortage of fraudulent services out there, do your due diligence before giving your private information to a less than reputable company.
The best resume writing services have good examples, positive reviews, and responsive customer service teams. A variety of ways to contact the company is a good indicator of a legitimate business, but we advise you to try out one or two methods of contact before making your selection. Steer clear of disconnected phone numbers and unanswered emails!
Remember that resume writing services are mainly digital today, so you don’t need to limit your search to local options. When in doubt, however, keep in mind that if an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is.
We hope this article helps you pick the best resume writing service for your career goals. Good luck with your job search!
What to read next: